Only few of us have a full understanding of the way cities and those who live in them are affected by contemporary economics and politics. For citizens, the 1989 revolution was a promise of empowerment over their right to influence the development of where they live. However, most of us remain rather helpless in this respect. The unrestrained and uncoordinated development of Prague is rarely consulted with the public, and destroys the city’s living environment, cultural values, and social cohesion. The absence of functional regulatory tools in Prague leads not only to privatization of the commons, but also impedes socially responsible business and investment.
The conference Contested City is based on the premise that ideal urban development connects the interests of citizens, developers, investors and politicians. In the Czech environment, this connection has very little tradition. The conference therefore focuses on the European experience with citizen participation in designing strategic visions of cities. In an educational rather than academic way, the conference intends to present the target groups (municipal politicians and authorities, NGOs, professionals and students of disciplines concerned with town and strategic planning) personal experience and actual approaches in participatory urban planning.
- April 23-25, 2015
- Thursday, 23th April
- Friday, 24th April
- Saturday, 25th April
The workshop focuses on a real issue currently being solved in the local municipality of Prague 7. The representatives of the municipality bring background information about a place or topic connected with place, where participatory process is desirable. The attendants will discuss together and prepare a plan for participatory process appropriate for the state of the place and local community: creation of partnership and project team, more detailed plan for the first steps and general scheme for further phases of the process.
Bio Oko, Františka Křížka 460/15, 170 00 Prague 7
PRAGUE 7 city district is where the conference takes place. It is situated on the peninsula of the river Vltava northern from the historical city centre surrounded with two large parks: Letná Gardens on the natural terrace with a beautiful view on the city centre and Stromovka in the north. Prague 7 supports the participatory processes and the representatives of the municipality participate actively in the conference. Read more at http://www.praha7.cz/lang/l2
All necessary informations about the upcoming events
- How much is the conference fee and when is it payable?
- There is no conference fee.
- How to get here the best??
- We recommend using the Prague public transport. From the underground C line station Vltavská is it to Bio OKO 7 – 10 minutes by walk and about 2 minutes by walk is a frequented tram stop Kamenická.
- Where to accommodate ?
- We would recommend you to stay in hotel Belvedere situated in the Františka Křížka Street as Bio OKO and ARCHIP. Both conference sites are up to 2 minutes by walk from this hotel.
- Is there a catering service provided on the conference?
- You can help yourself freely with soft drinks in the conference room. The board is individual. There is a rich choice of restaurants and cafés in the neighbourhood.